Thank you to everyone who submitted a photo for the Bren Life Eco-Holiday Instagram contest! We’re sure that there were many more of you that practiced environmentalism during the holiday season – whether you took a pic of it or not!
Our top picks showed eco-conscious gift wrapping, a seafood lover choosing local clams and mussels, and a beach clean-up to celebrate the holidays. Other submissions showed Brennies buying gifts at thrift stores, being creative with wrapping presents, and using reusable products.
1. Follow Bren Life on Instagram! @Bren_Life
2. Take a picture that captures your holiday environmentalism. (Example: A pic of your house decorated with LED lights — LEDs use much less energy than traditional bulbs)
3. Post it on Instagram tagging it with #brenlifeholiday by Dec. 31st. Entries accompanied by creative captions and/or interesting explanations of their sustainable activity will be favored!
Once all photo entries are submitted, we will judge them based on creativity and environmental sustainability. Top 3 winners will receive a Bren Garb item! Remember to upload your picture by Dec. 31st!
We can’t wait to see your submissions!
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Don’t buy wrapping paper! Use newspaper, magazines, old posters, or fabric scraps.
- Instead of buying a cut Christmas tree, try decorating a house plant, or buying a potted fir tree that you can plant outside in a few years. Or even consider “renting” a live tree (yes, it’s is a real thing.)
- Buy local gifts (Check out The Yes Store in Santa Barbara featuring all sorts of gifts made from local artists and entrepreneurs.)
- Use LED lights to decorate your house or tree. They use up to 95% less energy than traditional bulbs.
- Make an “upcycled” gift from material you have at home. Think: wine cork coasters, ornaments made from beach drift wood, etc.
- Travel by bike to holiday parties.
- Bring your resuable bags when shopping for gifts. (These bags can be used in other places besides the grocery store, ya know!)
- Reduce meat consumption. Make a vegetarian or vegan holiday meal.
- Inspire your family and friends to connect with nature to encourage environmental living. Go on a nature hike or do a beach clean-up for a family activity.